Sunday, June 12, 2011

Lyons Outdoor Games June 11, 2011

Lyons Colorado is a really cool outdoor town about half way between Boulder and Estes Park. I was delighted when my travel schedule allowed me to race in this year's Wildwater Race. The race course is awesome for wildwater racing and training.

Since I am really focusing on ensuring my trucking operation is running well these days I opted for a night flight that ended up being a late night flight to Denver with midnight arrival in Boulder. Oh well, so I got 5-6 hours of sleep, jumped in a Tip Top C-1 that Denny Adams provided, and did a test run of the course with Race Master Jeremy Rodgers early Sat a.m.

The race course from the Apple Valley Bridge to Black Bear Hole is continuous Class 2 and has a half dozen class 3ish rapids. Our race took us right through the Lyons Whitewater Park (which has been enhanced by Scott Shiply) during peak Outdoor Games spectatorship.

Jeremy Rodgers did a great job of organizing the event and the winners got some great swag. Olympian Scott Shiply led the Kayak field followed by Gary Lacy. Team Dawson, led by coach Lisa Adams, showed up in force and everyone did quit well. Spencer Huff, an up and coming star in the Jr ranks really showed me something and I think he will rapidly improve with more time in the boat and coaching.

I was the fastest canoe down the river and stacked up well on a personal level. On a personal note, the Tip Top felt incredibly stable to me compared to the tippy Bala I normally paddle, and this is a factor I will strongly consider as I back away from paddling on a regular basis (due to my shoulder issues).

All in all, this was a great course, a great event, and a great time. I hope to see more of you there next year.

Links:
http://www.usawildwater.com/news/2011/110613-LyonsGames.html
http://lyonsoutdoorgames.com/blog/
Results: http://lyonsoutdoorgames.com/blog/?p=1555

No comments:

Post a Comment