Monday, July 13, 2009

Post FIBArk Injury Update - July 13

Although I knew I may have sustained a pretty serious rotator cuff injury I intentionally scheduled my MRI for 2 days after I arrived back from FIBArk. Well, it was not a surprise when they told me I have torn my cuff (and torn it from my shoulder) in more ways than I know to describe. My doc (Dr Craig Weil) is having me sign of off all 4 possible types of repairs than he can make to a rotator cuff and figures he will make at least 3 of the 4. He also thinks there is a strong chance that he might have to open me up to be able to tack everything down.

In some ways I feel very fortunate. This is my first serious injury paddling in a lifetime of agressive sports.

In the meantime, I’m a hurting puppy. And the even more painful part is the unknown. Will I ever be able to paddle again or is this the end of an era for me? How about whitewater? What about racing? What about next years World Championships? Will I be prepared or is it going just a pipe dream?

My surgery is scheduled for July 24th. I’m going to take each day at a time after that.

Keep me in your prayers.

JP

No comments:

Post a Comment